The Organization has the following Core Beliefs that are shared by its Directors, Advisors, and Members, which will serve as the framework to guide its activities:
- Sustaining our natural resources is essential to improving and sustaining the economic health and stability of the region.
- Sustainable management of natural resources requires commitment and consistency spanning decades and the life spans of individuals and businesses; therefore, knowledge and appreciation of our natural resources is essential to attain this commitment.
- Sustainable development requires that we stay within the capacities of our natural resources to produce on an even-flow sustainable basis. Forests in the Upper St. John River watershed should be managed to maintain all naturally occurring forest vegetation types in a balance of all development stages to sustain native wildlife at the township or sub-watershed scale at even-flow levels. Recognizing landowner rights, and the trans-generational planning, commitment, and fidelity required to achieve these goals, the USJRO will seek land ownership, conservation easements, and other mechanisms to apply these standards of management on certain designated parcels of land.
- Sustainable development should include research, management, monitoring, conservation & restoration, recreation, education, cultural, and business development activities.
- Local sustainable business development will help maintain local ownership of our natural resources (forests, farm land, wind, water, etc.) which in turn will provide local sources of energy (such as fuel wood, wind power), food (agriculture), wood products, wildlife, recreational & educational opportunities, and other values. These values, when coupled with local agriculture, history & culture, cuisine, art, and music, can create a unique and strong brand identity for the Upper St. John River area to improve economic health and stability.
- Conservation and/or restoration activities should be implemented to sustain endangered, threatened, and rare natural resources.
Vision & Mission • Plans